Bali and Lombok continue to be devastated by earthquakes, with a seventh quake hitting the Indonesian islands today.
The latest quake comes after a 5.9 magnitude earthquake which rocked Lombok yesterday.
Indonesia’s chief security minister has said that the death toll is at 319, but local media have reported figures as high as 347.
However, national disaster agency spokesman Sutopo Purwo Nugroho told the BBC that only 259 deaths had been verified.
In the event of serious injury, access to immediate medical assistance on the islands is extremely limited
Most of those killed in the earthquake were struck by falling debris from collapsing buildings, the disaster management head said.
The seismic event followed a 6.9. magnitude earthquake on Sunday which injured more than 1,400 people and saw more than 270,000 displaced, the government have said.
Since Sunday, hundreds of smaller tremors and major aftershocks have hit the region to wreak further death and destruction in an area already struggling to return to normal.
In the last seven days, a total of 20 earthquakes have hit the region according to the US Geological Survey (USGS).
The UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) has updated their travel advice to the region. They advise against all but essential travel to the Gili Islands (Gili Trawangan, Gili Meno and Gili Air), off the north-west coast of Lombok.
“Following the 6.9 magnitude earthquake in the region on 5 August, there is a risk of aftershocks, which could cause further damage to buildings and pose risks to safety,” states the FCO website.
Bali earthquake: Lombok struck by a seventh quake – how safe is Indonesia for tourists?
“In the event of serious injury, access to immediate medical assistance on the islands is extremely limited. There also continue to be power outages and a lack of clean water.
“If you have remained on the islands and now wish to leave, contact the local Tourist Police on the islands for up-to-date information on departure options.”
For those who intend to visit Indonesia, the FCO advise: “If you’re planning to travel to Lombok, you should keep your plans under close review, seek the advice of your transport and accommodation providers before travelling, and ensure that you have contingency plans and travel insurance in place.”
Ngurah Rai Airport (Denpasar) and the major tourist resorts in southern Bali are operating as normal.
AirAsia is also offering recovery options for tourists between 6 August and 10 August – which end today.
Bali earthquake: Hundreds of smaller tremors and major aftershocks have hit the region
Bali earthquake: More than 270,000 people have been displaced, the government have said
Travellers will be able to change their flight free of charge to travel up to 14 days later.
Jetstar has also confirmed that flights are still travelling to Bali, but passengers wanting to change their flights would incur a fee.
Authorities and international relief groups have begun organising aid, but badly damaged roads have slowed efforts to reach survivors in the mountainous north of Lombok, which bore the brunt of the quake.
The Indonesian Red Cross said it had set up 10 mobile clinics in the north of the island.
Christopher Rassi, the head of a Red Cross assessment team on Lombok, said in a statement: “It is already clear that Sunday’s earthquake was exceptionally destructive. I visited villages yesterday that were completely collapsed.”